Monday, June 8, 2009

Finding Beauty

I realized that I can find something beautiful on anyone. The curve of a hip, the angle of a wrist, the nape of a neck, the defined muscle. However, that does not include the stereotypical pose or portrait.

I couldn't get enough of the people at the gym today. There were so many, at a time I don't usually go, that I'd never seen before it was hard to stop looking. There was a woman with short spiky overly blond hair that I would have loved to photograph, only because she walked in with her well defined arms exposed in contrast to her high heals, her curvy body in a slim fitted skirt and more confidence then women half her age. It was all so alluring I wanted a chance to capture some of it, freeze it so she could see what I see.

There are always beautiful men there too. The shoulders and legs, all that is exposed, all that is "man" is hard not to look at too. I wondered how I could ask anyone of them, "Hi, if you ever need photographs please call me. I'd love a chance..." Then, I thought, this is a safe place, a place where we are not our professions, or who we are out "there" but how dedicated we are, how hard we work, how focused we are. I won't violate that.

Not me. I am a photographer all the time. It is how I see the world. It is not a job. It my life. It never shuts off, or loses interest for me. I can always see art around me. So, do I get a reprieve for asking someone to do what others think is my job in this place?

They are all just so freaking amazing... Damn it.

No comments:

Post a Comment