Friday, May 22, 2009

Change when Things Change

Hi,

I'm working hard at not working hard at change. Argh! Yup, that would be true.

Much of what I see in my life is valid data, however, my judgment on it is difficult to deal with.

I had a man from the ManKind Project steal a lens from me. Granted it was a piece of crap Sigma, it was still mine. I did not give it to him, and was perfectly clear he could use it, just to try it out. Anyone w/a camera knows their lens collection is valuable and sacred. I offered as a sign of good faith and trust.

After I loaned the lens and micro drive, I figured some things out about him. He had his children taken from him under the suspicion of child abuse. I didn't want to have anything to do with him and therefore told him. I also asked for my lens and memory drive back. He became abusive, (which I saved on my phone) texting me and calling saying things like "I guess you're not going to give me what I need" and laughing at the idea that I showed trust by loaning him my gear.

He did not return my equipment, and text me that he left it at my house and "don't ever contact me again."

I'm glad I got off with only that much loss. His boys did not get off so easily.

I did ask in the MKP community about him, and since he was a council member and no one had anything bad to say, I let my guard down. What I later discovered was no one had first hand knowledge of him either and he left the council and community without any notice at all.

I take responsibility for it, and consider it a lesson learned with very little damage. It is a wise Universe, I just don't always understand her language.

No comments:

Post a Comment